Wednesday, August 24, 2011

No Shampoo - A Baking Soda & ACV Hair Update {Part 3}

*I am no expert and am only relaying my own experience with this process. Please do your own research before deciding to use this method. It works great long-term for some, but I do have a reader that had her hair start to fall out after using this method for several months and could possibly be due to dry-out from the baking soda. I do currently use the method with no issues, but I take a break and use shampoo a couple times a year for a few weeks. Also, I use less baking soda than I did in the beginning - read the 8/11 Part 2 Update for the current measurements I use.

Finally!  The last part of the "no poo" series!  After checking out Part 1 and Part 2, this is the last bit of info that you'll want before you decide to make the change!


The main question I get about this comes from the biggest concern of all!  "What will I do on the bad hair days during the transition time???" If this is our biggest problem in life - then we've got it pretty good - LOL!  :)

I will give you some ideas for this, but really, have you looked around when you're out??  Do you think your "bad" hair will stand out in the crowd of all kinds of hair parading around out there?  I'm not saying we should regularly head out with bad hair or anything (hey - it's a big deal to ME too), but I don't think it makes that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things.  Now, if you have a full-time job in a law office or something, you may want to hold off until your vacation!

While you do have some bad hair days during the transition time, it's certainly not every day and not always that bad!  You can go out in public every day - I did!  But I'll share a few ideas in case you hadn't thought of them.

Bad Hair Day Ideas:

~ Slick hair back into a brushed pony tail.
~ Give hair a "messy" look and wear a low side pony tail with hair over your shoulder.
~ Wear hair in a loose braid.
~ Try a French braid.
~ Wear hair up in a bun.
~ Wear hair up in a clip.
~ Wear a cute baseball cap - works for long or short hair.
~ Wear a sun hat and movie star sunglasses.
~ Wear a cute scarf tied around loose hair or a pony tail - looks cute on short hair too.
~ Try a cute headband - again cute on short hair too.

What did I miss?  Any more bad hair day ideas?

Now if you'd like to get an idea of how the whole no shampoo experience is going for others (it can be a little different for each person), I've got some great links for you to check out!

Update on using no shampoo from Simple Mom

How to wash hair without shampoo at Kitchen Stewardship

Video on how to make no poo mixtures at Keeper of the Home

Natural hair care (no shampoo) at The Cozy Nook 

Homemade natural hair care shampoo recipe (alternative to no poo) from Passionate Homemaking
{6/13 - I discovered that she is no longer using this shampoo recipe and instead uses natural shampoo from Trader Joe's but adds some baking soda to it to stretch it.}

I think the results of no poo would be improved with the use of this shower filter (I would love to try it) reviewed by Kingdom First Mom

That should be enough to give you a good idea of whether you want try "no poo" or some other natural hair care method.  Have you tried it?  Are you going to give it a try if you haven't?

If you have a post on the no shampoo method, share the link in the comments or share a link to a helpful no shampoo post I've missed!  The more info, the better!

That's it - I'm done - no more parts - LOL!!  I hope this info has been helpful to you!

Have a great day friends!

5 comments:

  1. I went no-poo at the beginning of the year. I don't use baking soda or vinegar. I just rinse my hair in the shower each day. My hair is naturally curly and seems to be fine with this approach. My scalp is in the best condition ever. I keep wondering if I should try baking soda / vinegar to see if my hair can be better - maybe one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll just shave my head. It just seems easier. LOL!
    I guess I'll go hunt down some cute scarves to wear. The fact that I never wear them won't draw attention in and of itself I'm sure. LOL!

    Big maybe the greasy hair will distract from the crater in my nose where the cancer used to be size hugs to you! LOL! More on that later. Ha! Ha!

    Love you girlie.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the plug! ;-) I linked to you in my post as well. Blessings to you! ~Lisa from "The Cozy Nook".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have soft water in your house? Have you heard that it makes a difference?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am trying the no poo method right now. One thing that has been a lifesaver for my greasy hair is Cornstarch! But you only want to add it to the roots. (I dip the tips of my fingers into cornstarch and add it that way.) And don't use too much, you're hair will look white.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments! Thank you for stopping and smelling the chocolates with me!! Currently disabled anonymous comments due to spam attempts - thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...